Thursday, January 16, 2014

BASKETBALL-MY FIRST LOVE...!

BASKETBALL-MY FIRST LOVE...!
Yesterday evening i went for a walk
Though I was alone I had a long talk
More than the future I thought of my past
I wandered when I played Basketball last

I remembered how I  used to play for hours,
Be in sunlight or August rain showers
If I kid again, yesterday I wished
Looking at some boy's game I knew what I 
missed  

Jargon of the sport opened in my mind,
Big treasure I found my memory being kind;

Under-baskets, lay-ups, free shots and 
3-pointers,
Jump-ball, fouls, back-court and 3-seconds,
Man-to-man or zonal whatever the defense,
Screen, pass, dribble and fake in offence

My home-court,my coaches,
My teammates and opponents,
Referees and score-sheets,
Time-outs and substitutions.

T-shirts, shorts, kit-bag and sweat-bag;
Tracksuits, socks, water-bottle and hairband.
Orange-colored balls of NIVEA or SPARTION
My ankle-height shoes of TUFF or ACTION

I saw floodlights and heard some cheering,
Nobody was there, I was just daydreaming.
Then I became nostalgic, eyes filled with tears
Being away from Basketball for so many 
years.

Last night I decided to take away this pain,
I hope I will play this wonderful game again.

-Irawati Mahajan
(K.H.S. Teacher)