Thursday, January 16, 2014

Days gone by

Days gone by

Walking down the lane, I notice a few children playing; wearing vibrant coloured jerseys and even bigger and vibrant smiles, they reminded me of my childhood. The carefree days when life was just playing, friends and enjoyment.
 
I remember the time when my day began at 4:30 in the morning. I used to be ready on the court at 5, ready for the warm up exercises. The exercises lasted for half an hour and to tell the truth we found them tiresome and unnecessary. Of course, we did not understand the importance of warm up exercises then.
 
The real fun started at 5:30 when we were handed the ball to start the game. Being tall, swift and enthusiastic helped me take to basketball and worked in my favour. I played as a captain for the basketball team of my school for a long time and also represented school at various levels.
 
I remember then the girls were really not encouraged to take up such sports. People really had conservative outlook towards sports like basketball for girls and especially them wearing shorts. And I still fail to imagine girls wearing shalwar kameez or sarees and playing basketball. The court in those days were also basic and not even levelled well, but the joy that we experienced on the ground is unparalleled to anything that we experience today.
 
The amenities have changed quite a lot today. More and more children are seen taking part in various games and the most encouraging aspect is that the parents are seen taking keen interest in the all round development of the child and sports being one of the important part of this all round development. They have no stone unturned in order to provide the best to their child.
 
This change in scenario seems healthy and gives me some hope for a positive change in the field of sports in India. It is said that home is the first school for any child and when this school changes its outlook and encourages the child to excel in any field that they choose, the change is bound to happen.
 
-Aparajita Ghosh
     (K.H.S. Teacher)